Holistic dentistry has several names including biological dentistry, alternative dentistry and unconventional dentistry. It emphasizes an approach to dental care that focuses on your entire physical, emotional and spiritual health. Holistic dentistry opposes the use of mercury fillings and other methods of dentistry that can endanger the health of the patient.
Dental Treatment Centered Around Your Health
Principles of Holistic Dentistry
Holistic dentistry is an approach that encompasses modern science and knowledge of natural healing and acknowledges your mind, body, and spirit. It promotes your health and wellness instead of the treatment of diseases. The principles of holistic dentistry include:
- Nutrition to prevent and reverse degenerative dental disease.
- Treatment to avoid dental malocclusion or bite problems.
- Treatment to prevent gum disease at its biological basis.
- Eliminating toxins from dental materials.
- Use of an alternative to mercury fillings.
Holistic dentistry is a philosophy of practice. It includes an understanding of your overall well-being to address concerns of dental issues.
Individualized Treatment Plan to Suit Your Needs
Your treatment plan is customized based on your needs and your health. No two people are alike. Similarly, we plan your holistic treatments based on your specific and individual needs with regard for your overall health.
Benefits of Holistic Dentistry
Holistic dentistry is more than fixing and cleaning your teeth. It concentrates on your life and believes that your overall health can benefit from your oral health. Here are some of the benefits of holistic dentistry that we value at Smilebar by the Matthews Dentist:
- The complete health approach: We concentrate on your complete health, from head to toe and not just your dental care. This allows us to develop a doctor-patient relationship and gives us a better understanding of your health and needs. We consider the link between mouth and body instead of just treating problems in your mouth.
- No to Amalgam fillings: Amalgam filling is a toxic substance that contains 50% mercury. Mercury may escape the filling and enter your body, where it can cause disease. We take utmost care and specific precautions while removing mercury fillings and replacing them with bonded fillings.
- Compatibility testing: With our holistic dentistry approach, we will test the body’s compatibility with the filling material, which is a step many other dentists omit. It is important to test if the content is compatible with your body before using it. We will conduct a biocompatibility test and determine the best material for your filling.
- Treatment corrections: If you have not previously approached a holistic dentist, we will propose the removal of mercury-based amalgam fillings previously used by your regular dentist. We will recommend a filling that will suit your body.
Holistic Dentistry vs. Traditional Dentistry
We are Here to Help!
You may be wondering how different holistic dentistry is from conventional dentistry. It may surprise you to know that in both cases, the dentists receive the same primary education. It includes the same theory and the same methods of practice, and it is called general dentistry. Through continued education, dentists choose from a variety of options such as pediatric dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, and holistic dentistry among others. Unlike traditional dentistry, holistic dentistry focuses not only on conventional dental care but on complementary dental care and concentrates on the whole body.
At Smilebar by the Matthews Dentist, Dr. Monica Patel and the entire team is ready to help you. We follow the holistic dentistry approach so you can benefit from it. Call us to book an appointment!